Start getting ready! September 27 through October 4 is Banned Books Week! Banned Book Week's theme this year is "Celebrating the Freedom to Read." The ALA offers many suggestions on how to celebrate banned books - this week and year round. Here are just a few:
- Read a banned book. Check out the most frequently challenged books here
- Join the Freedom to Read Foundation http://www.ala.org/ala/ourassociation/othergroups/ftrf/freedomreadfoundation.cfm
- Tell others - friends, co-workers, family, teachers, press, and politicians about Banned Books Week
- Find Banned Books Week on Facebook and MySpace
- Check out the Banned Books displays in the SLIS Library this week and next week
Most importantly, have fun reading a banned book!